Frequently Asked Questions / General FAQs
We are committed to making your encounter a fun and safe experience for you and our animals. To help us better serve you, please notify us of any illnesses, limitations or disabilities
- How long does it take to tour the zoo? NGZ has so many options you can choose from. You can take an entire day to do the full experience or choose from the variety of options. We highly recommend the Wildlife Package and this we recommend allowing 2-3 hours to ensure you receive the full experience. If you are wanting to add on the additional encounters options, allow a minimum of 3-4 hours. If you want to take advantage of all the encounter and hands on options, plan on buying an all day pass and making a day of it!
- Can you leave the zoo and return later? If you need to leave the zoo at anytime during your visit, please stop by the booth and have your hand stamped. This ensures you will be able to return. Admission is only good for the same day unless otherwise noted (exception is 2 day pass)
- What is the age limit for encounters? Most encounters are for ages 8 and up. However we do have a few child safe encounters geared towards children. Those will be marked with an *
- What is the dress code? Please be sure to wear long pants, closed toed shoes (tennis shoes or boots). Please do not wear any dangle jewelry, loose clothing, selfie sticks, strong perfume / cologne. Please leave tobacco products in vehicle and keep long hair tied up. Be sure to wear clothes and shoes that you don't mind getting dirty.
- What happens if it rains? There are shelters and activities that are amazingly fun in any kind of weather. If you do not have rain gear, you may purchase ponchos and umbrellas at the ticket booth and continue your adventures in the rain. You can also choose to relax at one of our benches or picnic tables and allow the weather to pass. We do have encounters including the reptile encounter that are done indoors or can be done under shelters. SUMMER RAIN SHOWERS are part of Georgia summers. Schedule tour times will continue, If there is a summer down pour, your tour may be delayed slightly. Please come prepared for that. Refunds or rain-checks for inclement weather are not offered.
- Does the Zoo ever close because of weather? Yes, sometimes we have to close because of weather. Guest safety is our number one priority and there are certain weather circumstances that may cause the entire zoo to close earlier than scheduled or not open at all. As soon as closures are confirmed the website will be updated. Please call or check the website prior to visiting on days when weather may be a concern. If you are schedule for a reserved tour, please call to confirm your tour on days of inclement weather. We will also call those reserved if rescheduling needs to be done.
- Do you give rain-checks for inclement weather? We do not provide rain checks UNLESS the entire zoo itself needs to close.
- Do you provide refunds or rain-checks if children or adults are not able to finish the tour, pony ride, encounter etc. We cannot provide rain-checks or refunds. Please be advised. Wildlife Walks are 45 to 60 minutes. Encounters are approx 15 minutes. While children love the tours, pony rides and encounters, we cannot guarantee how your child will respond. Please be advised we do have shortened tours at discounted prices specifically geared toward toddlers and preschoolers during mommy and me days. View information here
- Do we get a refund or rain-check if our tours, encounters or other activities are delayed? We do not give out refunds or rain-checks for situations such as these. Please come prepared to have a great time but allow flexibility. NGZ is known for their one of a kind tours and encounters. At times these may be slightly delayed due to weather, guests delayed at other activity or animal transport to the encounter area. There are lots of fun and exciting things to do here at the zoo so while you are waiting. Feel free to browse the gift shop, pet some more animals, enjoy a snack or drink, relax in the shade or visit with a creature feature animal or enjoy other activities going on.
- Are pets welcome in the zoo? We are sorry but no pets allowed.
- What should I wear? We are a one of a kind zoo with a rustic appeal. We recommend that you wear comfortable and securely fitting shoes and clothing. We do provide sale sunscreen and insect repellent at the gift shop.
- Will I get dirty on the encounters? If you are doing a wolf encounter, you may get dirty or muddy. Wolves do not mind putting a muddy paw on you or splashing you with their water. With other encounters, there is always a chance of an animal needing to go to the restroom on or near you so just prepare accordingly!
- How do I check available dates for booking birthday parties or group visits? Please contact the Office at (706) 348-7279 or email us.
- Is the Zoo open on holidays/ holiday weekends? The Zoo is open most holidays. Please check the calendar for dates and hours. Updates about closings due to inclement weather can be found on the homepage of our website and on calendar.
- Is the Zoo open during the winter NGZ is open only a few select days during the winter. Tours are available by reservation during the winter
- Where can I find out about pricing of guided tours, encounters and programming?You can find our more information on guided tours and programming on our website or by calling or emailing.
- Can I pack a lunch to eat at the zoo with our kids? Yes you may. There is a picnic area that can be used. The picnic area is only available to guest with paid general admission.
- What is your policy on group discounts? 12 people or more are required for group rates and must be reserved in advance: Learn more and get rates here
- Are there any rules about the Zoo I should know prior to my visit? There are a few rules you should know about when visiting the Zoo:
-No radios or loud music of any kind allowed while visiting
-Running is not allowed
-No smoking or alcohol on zoo grounds
- What is your policy regarding the donation of complimentary tickets? Call or email for more info.
- Is smoking allowed at North Georgia Zoo? The zoo is a smoke free zone. Those wishing to smoke must be located outside the zoo premise, at least ten feet away from the entry.
- How I can be assured animals are treated humanely? North Georgia Zoo makes every effort to ensure that all of the physical and psychological needs of each animal are met and/or surpassed. As a USDA, DNR and USDI accredited institution, NGZ must meet the official approval by USDA inspectors and Fish and Wildlife experts. These experts carefully examine each zoo including living environments, social groupings, health and nutrition. The USDA also make sure that animals are provided with enrichment, which stimulates each animal's natural behavior and provides variety in their daily routine. The NGZ Zoo prides itself on continuing to maintain these high standards.
- What is your method of payment?Cash, Check, VISA and MasterCard. You may also purchase your tickets online ahead of time and save $$. To run a credit card we do have a $5 minimum.
- Do you have an ATM in the zoo? Unfortunately we do not have an ATM onsite.
- Do you have a concession stand?Yes. You can purchase drinks, chips, popcorn and an assortment of candy. We do not however have a restaurant onsite but recommend Turners Corner Cafe less then 4 miles away (Items for sale are subject to change)
- Do you have a gift shop?Yes. The open air gift Shop offers an array of zoo themed gifts, t-shirts and toys. VISA and MasterCard are accepted in the gift shop.
- Can you reserve shelters inside the zoo? You can reserve a picnic area for your party or group. We also offer a party tent option. View information here
- Do you rent wheelchairs, wagons or strollers?Equipment rental is unavailable. However, you are welcome to bring your own to the zoo. The entire NGZ accessible.
- Is the zoo handicapped accessible? Yes. The zoo has both ramps and stairs. However the zoo is more rustic and most paths are gravel, rock or grass. We are happy to assist in any way to ensure you are able to access all areas including golf cart service for the wildlife walks and other tours
- Where are the restrooms located in the zoo? Restrooms are located at adjacent to the parking area next to the reptile house.
- Can I , my family, or group volunteer at North Georgia Zoo? : Absolutely. We love volunteers. Learn more about volunteering.
- Can I, my family or group adopt an animal or sponsor an exhibit? We would love your support. learn more about our adopt and animal programs and our sponsorship programs here
- Can I take videos and photos? We encourage you to take photos and video for your own personal use. Commercial photography is allowed, but only with prior written permission. Please contact the marketing department for more information, or review our location filming policy. We may photograph visitors from time to time for promotional and educational purposes: entry to the Zoo grants permission for us to use these images.
- Where can I purchase or renew my membership? You can purchase or renew your membership at the Zoo or Purchase online here
- Does the Member have to be present to purchase a membership?Anyone can purchase an annual membership in or out of state. You must have the receivers name and address.
- Can my friend use my membership card without me present? Only the zoo members whose names are on the card have permission to use the membership.
- Do members have to be present to use guest pass? Yes, the guest pass is set up to be used to bring a friend or guest with your regular membership pass.
- Can I get a refund for a membership?Sorry, memberships are not refundable.
North Atlanta Georgia Zoo & Petting Zoo Zoo North of Atlanta, Zoo Near Atlanta, Zoo in Georgia Mountains, Zoo in Dahlonega, Zoo in Helen, Petting zoo North Atlanta, Petting zoo in North Georgia, Georgia Mountains Family activity and attraction, Places to go in North Georgia, Places to visit in Helen, Cleveland and Dahlonega Georgia. Atlanta Zoo. Atlanta Zoos, Zoo in Atlanta, Chesatee Wildlife Preserve, Zedonk, Zoo with Zeedonk
My Favorite Zoo is North Georgia Zoo. North Georgia Zoo is My Favorite Zoo. North Georgia Zoo & Petting Farm is by far my Favorite Zoo. Lots of cool animals and you can interact with a lot of them. My favorite zoo because you learn a lot and see lots of different animals. My favorite zoo because it has wolves, lemurs, kangaroos, camels and more. My favorite zoo to pet and feed lots of different cute baby farm animals. My favorite zoo because you get to get real close and learn about all the animals. My Favorite Zoo in Georgia, GA, TN, AL, NC,SC